> Practice Areas > Birth Injury
Nothing is more important to parents than the health of their new-born babies. Unfortunately birth injuries resulting from the negligence of medical professionals do happen. When these injuries occur, you need a team of legal and medical professionals to protect the legal rights of infants and their loving parents.
Birth injuries can lead to developmental delays, neurological injuries or even death. At Sheff Law, we recognize mistakes may happen when delivering a child. However, we believe all reasonable actions should be taken when a child suffers permanent birth trauma that should have been avoided.
BIRTH INJURY CAUSES
Birth injuries can occur due to of the baby’s birth size and weight, the baby’s position at birth, prematurity, prolonged or difficult labor for the mother, a doctor’s negligence during prenatal care or as a result of preventable errors on the part of doctors, nurses, or hospitals during the delivery.
Other causes of brain trauma that may take place in the delivery room include:
- Overly aggressive force and/or misuse of forceps or vacuum extractor during delivery;
- Lack of consultation on the part of the midwife to seek help from an obstetrician;
- Failure to respond to fetal distress and/or delay in performing a cesarean section when necessary;
- Lack of response to umbilical cord entrapment; and
- Failure to properly insert a tube into a newborn requiring oxygen
Recently, the use of SSRI antidepressant medications including Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, or Paxil during pregnancy may also lead to birth defects.
TYPES OF BIRTH INJURIES
Birth injuries may have to long-term or permanent residual symptoms such as nerve injury or brain damage or developmental delays in the child. Medical issues or conditions that may result from a birth injury include the following:
- Mental retardation;
- Cerebral Palsy, a condition which occurs because of brain damage and permanently affects the newborn’s ability to properly use its muscles;
- Brachial Plexus Palsy, Erb’s Palsy, and Klumpke’s Palsy, conditions which are caused by injury to the collection of nerves that supplies the arms and hands and which result in a weak or paralyzed arm on one side of the body;
- Cephalohematoma, which is a collection of blood under the scalp of a newborn, caused by pressure during birth. Depending on the size, most cephalohematomas may require two weeks to three months to disappear. If the area of bleeding is large, some babies may develop jaundice as the red blood cells break down
- Bruising/forceps marks, which occurs when a baby shows signs of bruising on the face or head as a result of passing though the birth canal and contact with the mother’s pelvic bones and tissues. Forceps used during delivery can also result in temporary marks or bruises on the baby’s head. Delivering a baby by vacuum extraction can also result in scalp bruising or a scalp cut
CHOOSING A QUALIFIED MASSACHUSETTS BIRTH INJURY LAWYER
Sheff Law takes pride in remaining current with all the latest developments pertaining to birth injury. With decades of experience in the Boston area, our attorneys have represented parents in a wide variety of birth injury cases. Our attorneys are equipped with the necessary knowledge and are passionate about assisting each family to receive adequate reimbursement for past and future medical expenses for their child’s birth injury.
It is imperative to provide each client with the individual attention they require to ensure the best quality representation possible. We recognize that birth injury can be life-changing not only for the child, but for the family as well. Our team of dedicated attorneys at Sheff Law has the skills and experience to deal with cases of this magnitude.
If your child has suffered a birth injury in Massachusetts, please fill out the form, or contact an attorney at Sheff Law at 617-227-7000 or 888-423-4477 (toll free) to schedule a free of charge initial consultation.