Douglas K. SheffSenior Partner
Douglas K. Sheff is the senior partner at Sheff Law. He has over 30 years of experience in all aspects of personal injury law and has earned a reputation for obtaining consistent, outstanding recoveries for his clients. He focuses his practice on representing victims of traumatic brain injury, wrongful death, construction site and trucking and other automobile accidents, workplace accidents, and defective products. He has received numerous honors and awards for his work as a lawyer, a consumer advocate and an educator. He is a nationally renowned brain injury litigation expert, an accomplished writer and speaker, Mr. Sheff regularly lectures other attorneys, both inside and outside of Massachusetts, on issues regarding personal injury, and appears on television, radio and in print media as a legal expert in the field.
In addition to his efforts on behalf of clients, Doug previously served as President of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys (MATA), the leading organization in Massachusetts for Trial attorneys, and currently serves as the Chairman of MATA’s Federal Legislation Committee. Sheff Law is also proud to announce that Doug has been elected for the 2012-2013 term as President of the Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA), the largest and most signficant attorney organization in Massachusetts. Doug is currently serving as the Chairman of the MBA Workplace Safety Task Force (“WSTF”), which has promptly brought about positive legislative changes in Massachusetts. The WSTF has brought together leaders from the legal and medical fields as well as representatives from the Department of Industrial Accidents and grass roots worker advocacy groups to work to improve safety in the workplace.
Attorney Sheff has been appointed Trustee of the National College of Advocacy, which provides superior education and training for trial lawyers across the United States. Mr. Sheff is a member of Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, a group of attorneys who support consumer rights nationwide. He is a fellow of the Massachusetts Bar Foundation and a member of the Academy of Catastrophic Injury Attorneys (ACIA). Attorney Sheff is a Director of the Belli Society, a group recognized for innovative litigation techniques and received the ORT Award for integrity in the law. He is consistently named in the Super Lawyer edition of the publication Boston Magazine. He received MATA’s first annual Excellence in Advocacy Award for his work with victims of traumatic brain injury and has been recognized in the publication, Lifesavers, for preventing injury through aggressive representation of victims of defective products.
Doug has also been a member and leader of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) for many years. The AAJ is the largest and most important organization in the Country for trial attorneys and a force for positive legislative change and individual advocacy. Doug currently serves on the AAJ’s Board of Governors, its Leaders Forum and its Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group. Not only has he served as a Massachusetts State Delegate to the organization but he was elected by his peers nationally to chair AAJ’s 100 State Delegates, and has served as Chair of its Council of Presidents, representing fifty thousand attorneys nationwide.
Doug has always taken great pride in working with other leaders in the legal community and has made it a priority in his practice to always lead by example. When Doug becomes President of the MBA in the Fall of 2013, he will become the only Attorney in Massachusetts’ history to have ever held the positions of President of the MBA, President of MATA as well as Governor of the AAJ, highlighting his local and national commitment to the betterment of the practice of law and public service.
Doug has also received a number of awards for his work on behalf of clients and the practice of law. In both 1999 and 2004, Doug received the MATA President’s Special Recognition Award as well as the MATA Excellence in Advocacy Award in 2010. In addition, he received the prestigious Weidemann & Wysocki Award by the AAJ on six separate occasions for his advocacy efforts on behalf of individuals and families affected by the negligence of others. Doug is also a recipient of the coveted ORT Award for integrity in the law. As a father and son team, Chick and Doug together received the ATLA (Currently AAJ) Next Generation Award for their multi-generational efforts to further the practice of law.
- J.D., Boston College Law School, Newton, Massachusetts, 1984
- B.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1980
- Massachusetts (1984)
- Massachusetts Bar Association, President (current)
- Massachusetts Bar Association, past Vice President
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys, Past President
- American Association for Justice, Board of Governors, Leaders forum, and Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group
- National College of Advocacy, Trustee
- Massachusetts Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Member
- Academy of Catastrophic Injury Attorneys (ACIA), Member
- Belli Society, Director
- Massachusetts Workplace Safety Task Force, Chair
Awards & Recognitions
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2009-Present
- ORT Award, Integrity in the Law
- Excellence in Advocacy Award, First Ever Recipient, MATA
- Lifesavers Magazine
- Next Generation Award, American Association of Justice’s,
- Wiedeman Wysocki Award, Six time recipient
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys - Academy to present Presidents' Award for Excellence in Advocay to Douglas K. Sheff
- Journal of the American Association for Justice - After the Settlement - Tying up loose ends
- Massachusetts Lawyer's Weekly - Overcoming Juror Bias With Focus Groups
- Journal of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America - The Sheff Story - Partnership built on trust
- AAJ Winter Convention- January 2008- Traumatic Brain injury-Proof of the Invisible
- Subsequent Remedial Measures
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly - MATA President Defends Plaintiffs' Rights