What is NuvaRing?
NuvaRing is a once-a-month contraceptive introduced by Organon Pharmaceuticals in 2001. The NuvaRing is a flexible, small contraceptive vaginal ring inserted into the vagina once a month. It is left in place for three weeks and releases a controlled amount of ethinyl estradiol (EE) and etonogestrel. These two drugs work together to modify female hormones in order to prevent pregnancy.
Etonogestral is also known as “third generation” progestin desogestrel and has been linked to serious health conditions. Among these conditions is greater risk of a heart attack, strokes, blood clots, and other serious cardiovascular problems.
As of 2008, at least two lawsuits have identified use of the NuvaRing as cause of death, and allege Organon Pharmaceuticals withheld potentially deadly information regarding the side effects to consumers.
NuvaRing Side Effects
NuvaRing can produce many severe side effects, they include:
- Allergic Reactions (rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, swelling of the face, mouth, lips or tongue)
- Absent Menstrual Period
- Breast Lumps
- Calf or Leg Pain
- Swelling or Tenderness
- Excessive Urine Produced
- Chest Pain
- Coughing of Blood
- Dark Urine
- Numbness of an arm or leg
- One-sided weakness
- Pale Stools
- Persistent or Severe Headache or Dizziness
- Persistent Vaginal Spotting
- Sever Pain or Tenderness in Stomach
- Slurred Speech
- Severe Headache or Vomiting
- Symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome (diarrhea, dizziness, sudden fever, sunburn-like rash on the face or body, vomiting)
- Unusual or Severe Vaginal Bleeding
- Unusual Tiredness or Weakness
- Vaginal Irritation
- Discharge or Change in Secretion
- Double Vision; Sudden Vision Loss
- Yellowing of the Skin or Eyes (with or without fever)
NuvaRing has also been linked other potentially live threatening conditions including; blood clots in the legs, clotting in the blood vessels of the eye, stroke, heart attack, breast cancer, gall bladder disease, and high blood pressure.
As of December 31, 2011 approximately 950 NuvaRing lawsuits have been filed throughout the country with 820 being brought in Federal District could and the remaining 130 being in Massachusetts State court under Mass Tort Law. In August 2008 all cases filed in Federal Court against NuvaRing have/will be consolidated.
At Sheff Law, we are the Massachusetts law firm with the resources, experience, and national reputation to investigate injuries resulting from using the NuvaRing. Patients across Massachusetts and America are starting to realize some of the potential harmful side effects of inserting the NuvaRing. If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of using the NuvaRing, contact an attorney at Sheff Law today by filling out a FREE consultation form, or call at (888) 423-4477 or 617-227-7000.
February 23rd, 2016 | Posted in Blog